Saturday, March 12, 2016

Another "Almost"

I just got back from MOWELFUND (Movie Workers Welfare Foundation) where I applied to be one of the fellows of CINE PANULAT 2016, the second edition of the free screenwriting laboratory founded and ran by acclaimed director and screenwriter Jun Lana.



I came in 15 minutes earlier than the call time. By 10 A.M., we were given a creative writing exercise which required us to write our biography in a maximum of five sentences and develop a scene with three people on the side of a bridge. 

Jun Lana made his message clear the moment he greeted us--only those who submitted an "okay" (meaning, good) write-up will be considered for the initial interview and those who did "good" will be endorsed to him for the final interview and selection.

About 80 applicants were shortlisted from a pool of--wait for it--410 submissions! 

Just before lunchtime, I took a risk and submitted my entry first. Direk Jun read it inside the small theater along with the other entries. I was filled with anxiety for more than two hours of waiting--Did I write good enough? Did he like it?

Fortunately I was called on for the initial interview with Direk Perci Intalan (Direk Jun's husband). I exerted every effort to be as honest as possible while talking to him (bordering on being an eager beaver, tbh) because I believe that as a writer, that should be a non-negotiable trait. 

But it wasn't enough. 

Not long after my interview, one of the volunteers thanked me and advised that they will just "contact me for any updates" which literally translates to "better luck next time."

Everything was alright, though. I knew the moment I sent my application that it was not going to be an easy ride. Direk was looking for amateur writers with writing background in movie, TV or theater, and I only had a single one-act play to show him. At least I tried and because of that, I can now sleep well.

The lesson I learned today: interviews and screening processes are all about perception. How? I can look at my situation in two ways: first, that I didn't make it to the Final 20; and second, that from 410 applicants, I made it to the shortlist then to the first round of interviews with about 50 remaining aspirants. I chose to be grateful and focus on the latter instead :)

Additionally because of the writing exercise, I will have a new blog entry :)

All is well. Opportunities are infinite but unfortunately this blog isn't, so...bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts