Friday, July 22, 2016

Pens and Faces

Late last year I discovered a new hobby: drawing. It turned out that my father's artistic influence is still alive despite my denial that I can draw (and that I have the patience to turn sketches into someone recognizable). 

I chose to draw portraits as a way of paying tribute to the people who have inspired me in one way or another. In few cases though, I drew people for mockery (as in the case of Manny Pacquiao and Taylor Swift). 

Here are some of my portraits using colored pens (Note: I am an amateur. I don't have any professional training).

From Hollywood:
From first row, L-R: Versatile actor Johnny Depp, Award-winning daytime talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, Talented actress and TV star Viola Davis, Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter John Mayer, Bankable British actor Jude Law, Bankable German-Irish actor Michael Fassbender, Two-time Academy Award-winning Australian actress Cate Blanchett, Academy Award-winning actor and legendary comic Robin Williams, and another Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse

I also have some local personalities:

(From left, counterclockwise) Model and versatile actress Angel Aquino, International boxing legend Manny Pacquiao, and Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach

Recently, I dabbled into a new technique: the classic black and white.

(From left, counterclockwise) Legendary British stage and screen actor Patrick Stewart (some say Steve Jobs), Pop royalty Taylor Swift, 'Hamilton' creator and Broadway star Lin Manuel-Miranda, and 'Cookie' of hit TV series 'Empire,' Taraji P. Henson
I still have a lot of room to grow but so far, I think I'm on the right path because drawing makes me cope up with boredom, enhances my creativity, and espouses focus and discipline.

You can see more of my attempts at @rossmanicad in Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts