Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Lakbay Lokal: My 2016 in Travel

While I'm glad that 2016 will soon end (and take away the negative stories that plagued it,) it will leave me with some good moments to cherish.

It brought me to new places and allowed me to revisit familiar ones.

APRIL: Holy Week tour in Bataan and Corregidor
My high school friends stayed in Abucay, Bataan to observe the Holy Week celebrations on that part of the province.

We also took the time to visit the historical Corregidor Island (and its War Museum), Balanga Cathedral, Abucay ChurchBalanga WWII Museum, and of course, Mt. Samat in Pilar, Bataan.

Read more about our Bataan and Corregidor trip HERE.



Facade of Balanga Church
Facade of Bataan WWII Museum inside an elementary school compound
Abucay Church glows on the eve of Easter Sunday
MAY: Trek to Mt. Pamitinan, Rodriguez, Rizal
Few days before my 25th birthday, I thought that I wanted to hike a mountain to literally "thank the heavens" for my life thus far. I invited my closest friends to a trek to Mt. Pamitinan and enjoyed my prelude to #QuarterLifeNoCrisis. 



JUNE: Day trip in Tagaytay
On my day off from work, my best friend and I roamed around Tagaytay City where we visited Museo Orlina which houses the glass sculpture masterpieces of celebrated Filipino artist Ramon Orlina. We had a filling lunch at Dreamland Arts & Crafts Cafe. In the afternoon, we visited the Guiness World Record-holder Puzzle Mansion with its confusing alleyways of local and international puzzles owned by the late Gina Gil Lacuna. We had dinner at the cozy Java Jazz Coffee Shop then capped off the night with a whole body massage! 


Read more about our Tagaytay trip HERE.

at Dreamland

at Java Jazz
SEPTEMBER: Day trips in Puerto Princesa, and El Nido, Palawan
Because I did not have an international trip this year, I thought that I would maximize our 3-day company outing as it was also my first time to visit the majestic province of Palawan! Straight from the airport and after having breakfast at Haim Chicken Inato, selected officemates and I headed on to the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park for a guided tour inside one of the New7Wonders of Nature--the Underground River! On the way back to Aziza Hotel, we made a detour to Karst Mountain Elephant Cave, a 2-time pit stop in The Amazing Race
the view to the river's entrance

We were up early on Day 2 for a 6-hour road trip to the pristine beaches of El Nido. We paid for an island hopping tour and visited 7 Commando Beach, Small Lagoon at Minilok Island, Secret Lagoon, Shimizu Island, and finally the Big Lagoon.


at 7 Commando Beach. Look at that hues of blue, green, and brown!
inside the Small Lagoon
still at the Small Lagoon
It was my first time to: 1) kayak, 2) drive a large motor boat, and 3) free dive in saltwater so I would say, it was well worth the trip (and the cost!)

NOVEMBER: Day trip in Cebu City, Cebu
Third time's the charm. For my third consecutive business trip in Cebu this year, I finally squeezed in enough time to visit at least two known tourist attractions in the city--the Basilica Minore Del Sto. Nino (including the museum adjacent to it) and Magellan's Cross. 

I had enough energy to burn as I feasted on Garlic Shrimp, Pineapple Rice, and Fresh Coconut while dining al fresco at Shaka Hawaiian Restaurant in the middle of Cebu IT Park.
Facade of Sto. Nino de Cebu Basilica

at Shake Hawaiian Restaurant
DECEMBER: Barkada (+Solo) trip in Baguio City, Mountain Province
My best friend had the similar idea for her birthday so she invited us to hike Mt. Ulap in Itogon, Benguet. Sadly I wasn't able to join them because I just recovered from a viral exanthem.

We enjoyed a weekend eating at Pizza Volante and Good Taste Restaurant, biking at Burnham Park, playing inside its amusement park, and stopping by Baguio Cathedral. After that I had two days by myself so I visited Baguio Museum, and ate at Cafe by the Ruins and Oh My Gulay!

I also revisited my go-to places like Mt. Cloud Bookshop, Glen 50s Diner (in its new location,) and the Pink Sisters Convent and Chapel

"Ole Nick's Open Face Tuna:" Nick Joaquin's instructions to the cook: butter the bread, spread flaked tuna evenly over the buttered surface, dip in beaten egg and fry in even MORE butter"

"Bandilang Pula" - mountain rice, vegetables in season, mongolian sauce, tofu, and omelette

Facade of Baguio Museum where a mummy inside a wooden coffin is in permanent display
Facade of Baguio Cathedral along Session Road

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts