Sunday, May 22, 2016

Ali

Last Wednesay, my churchmates and I went to Tahanan ng Pagmamahal (Home of Love) to serve as art instructors to almost 30 kids.

I observed and helped some kids while they were drawing 'the thing that makes them happy' but one kid stood out for me. His name is John Ali. 

Ali had a rough time starting his drawing. He couldn't identify a tangible thing that makes him happy so he just made a lettering of his name. This was his first work:

I told him to use the oslo paper and crayons we provided to enhance the quality of his work but he didn't follow
Later, I made a Sans Serif lettering of his name so he could somehow copy the pattern but he wasn't eager either. 

Ali was having a hard time between doing the task and wanting to do it beautifully at first try.

He stopped. I pushed him to try again.

Then he grabbed an oslo paper and made another lettering, this time with just his second name.

This was his second attempt:


He wrote A-L-I and made a free style border intuitively. I was impressed so I asked him to darken the outlines of A-L-I and the border for bolder impact, and he did.

Next thing I knew he was coloring the letters with red, orange, and yellow for a fiery look. He didn't want to finish the letter "I" but I insisted and this was the result:


It was way better than his first attempt. I was so glad for his humble accomplishment!

Ali helped me affirm what "try again" really means. Seeing his progress within only two hours was really worth that volunteer time we rendered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts