Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mamay




March 18, 2012 (Sunday)

Last Thursday I went home my usual self, looking down on the streets, and walking fast. Until I noticed that our small place was well- lit, with people sitting everywhere, and beside our house was a funeral situated. I asked my mom…
Sino yan? (referring to the coffin)
Si Mamay.
I was instantly shocked and sad. I knew that someday soon this is going to happen, but life’s shocking moments really gets into you when you least expect them. That night was one of them.
‘Mamay’ or Aling Linda, 71, is an elderly part of our community. She is a lesbian, known for living beside our house, used to live in with a partner, got separated, with failed video- karera and sari-sari store businesses, and infamous custodian to small children from neighbouring parents. Just late last year, she sold her house to another landlord, thus, evicting her from her place. She was then forced to live with her remaining kins (who also live just within our place) until last Wednesday.
As I observed Mamay throughout the years, she has never lost her position as a senior in Kagitingan, Tondo. Whenever she has an argument with a neighbour (one with my parents), her usual dialogue was…
Hoy, tumanda na ko dito! Putanginang ka. Alam ng lahat ng tayo ‘yan, wala akong inagrabyado dito. Alam ng Diyos yan. Sa tinanda ko dito, wala akong masamamng ginawa.
To be honest, this is what she says to whoever tries to correct her. It is annoying, but without it, Tagumpay Street would never be the same. She is one among the icons of this street. She gives colors to our everyday.
When it comes to taking care of children, she is rude, mean and abusive. She would curse them and hurt them. I don’t know exactly if it’s because of old age, but she never cease to hit them and flood them with bad words. She would normally say while hitting them…
Putangina kang bata ka, hayop ka, matigas talaag ang ulo mong gago ka.
Everybody feels sorry for her and the kids, but nobody cares enough.
Matanda na kasi e,  was the normative reaction.
One cold morning, I opened our gate and was shocked to see her sleeping in front of her old house (which is now a four-storey fresh edifice), there sitting in a chair, head down, and body curved. I do not know what to do or say, but to feel pity for her. I then prayed that God blesses her.
Mamay is actually an inspiration to me. I see her as a great character in a typical Tondo story. I will miss Mamay. I know that she is now with her Creator. I am glad that now she has peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts