Sunday, December 2, 2012

KHEAM


Today, me and my team went to Sisters of Mary School, Silang, Cavite.
Our task: choose the best among the graduating high school students and give them brighter future.
In total, we had forty (40) students; the cream of the crop.
I had probably ten (10) of them and I was surprised by the attitude I saw in one of these  needy yet bright students.
Her name is Kheam (“Kim”), a native of Marinduque. Upon entering the door, she started narrating her stories and I could not say anything more.
First impressions: very eager, conversationalist, determined and promising.
The following are the quotes I learned from her:
“My family needs me”
“Whatever it takes, I will look for scholarship”
“High school is a  stepping stone for small dreams, College is a stepping stone for big dreams.” -among others
Among my frequent interviews and conversations with scholarship applicants, it was the first time I felt so inspired, blessed, and emotional.
I almost cried. I just have to avoid it because she promised her father to not cry whatever dire situation they are in. So I thought, if she could do that despite their lack of resources, why can’t I? why can’t most people do?
This girl is very strong, persevered, and has plans on succeeding in life.
She gave me hope. She inspired me to continue and do better in my job.
She is one solid evidence of the rationale behind corporate social responsibility..behind our scholarship program…behind our commitment to assisting students achieve quality education that they were underprivileged of.
I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to listen to the youth and be one with their dreams.
Who knows, I may not stay forever in the same company, but I might be advocating for the same cause for the rest of my life?
*Sigh.Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts