Sunday, December 2, 2012

GOOD WILL HUNTING (1997)


Director: Gus Van Sant
Genre: Drama 
Cast:  Matt Damon (Will Hunting)
         Robin Williams (Sean Maguire)
         Ben Affleck (Chuckie)
         Stellan Skarsgråd (Prof. Gerard Lambeau)
         Minnie Driver (Skylar)

This is the “Tuesdays with Morrie” of films.
Matt Damon played sincerely effective in his role as Will Hunting. I remembered also getting attached to him as Tom Ripley in “The Talented Mr. Ripley”. I know that for most fans, Damon is known for the “Bourne” series, which I have not watched any installment yet. But I am glad to know him first as an actor in the shoes of talented, genius, deceptive, fragile, honest, and carefree persons.
In the film, I broke into tears in the Williams- Damon “It’s not your fault” scene. I felt everyone can connect to it the way I did. It feels really good to be able to surrender to somebody and admit that your dark past, imperfections, failures, and senseless existence is not originally your fault. You cry and lift up your worries to someone else whom you know could carry the weight with you. And after that, you feel like born again; always ready to start anew. Until now, as I’m writing this, I am teary-eyed. I looked back to those days when I surrendered and asked Him to help me, and I will cooperate.
By the way, Williams as Sean the guidance counsellor is the type of person you would wish to see each week and spend time talking to, even staring to. I admit, through him, I missed my confidences with true friends and mentors.
Unlike Will Hunting, if you cannot easily solve a math equation, why not attempt first to solve life’s mysteries. Who knows, maybe in that aspect you could be half a genius?
or more of GWH, here’s the link, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119217/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts