Sunday, December 9, 2012

NOWHERE BOY (2009)

"Is nowhere full of geniuses, sir? Because then, I do probably belong there."



I love John Lennon.

That is the reason why I watched this film.

I cried to most scenes because they were emotionally affecting. To think that despite being a music icon and lyrics genius, John suffered from the difficulties of being an 'unwanted' child.

Julia, his mother, surrendered him to the custody of her sister, Mimi during breaking up with her husband (John's father). Julia never had the courage to retrieve John until he was teenager. Now she has to deal with the consequences of her cowardice while cleaning up emotional mess she has stained to young John.

After reconciliations were made, another tragedy struck John- Julia's passing. The soon-to-be Beatles front man has to face the world on his own, pursuing his music, while staying in touch with his now considered parent-guardian, Mimi.

I love John Lennon. And now that I knew his 'untold' story, I appreciated him more. He may have been an out-of-school youth and deemed to be good-for-nothing; but if building The Beatles is nothing, then his life was indeed wasted.

I think maybe that is why his (and The Beatles') music influenced me since childhood because of the emotions hidden therein. Their music is old, classic, timeless,and again, I love it.

The biopic only presented a short period in his life as a teen and has not much to do with his entry to fame. However, I can imagine him all by himself, in his room, composing, playing his guitar, thinking of his past, being passionately like these for years, and hence, creating what we now call 'history'.

I do not claim to know all information about the life of John Lennon- or Paul's, George's, and Ringo's. All I can claim is that even before maturity, I remember loving The Beatles music as my father would always play it on weekends.

I love the man. I love the band. I love their music. 

True enough, if 'nowhere' is full of geniuses,I would love to be there, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts