Sunday, December 2, 2012

THE KITE RUNNER (2003)


Khaled Hosseini/ Novel/ Php 200.00

Brothers in bond, but not in blood, or so I think.
While reading this debut novel of Hosseini, I could not help but pray to myself: I wish it did not have to happen.
It still pains to run, play, and fly kites with Amir and Hassan; two boys whose lives have been connected since childhood. Hosseini makes it easier to read as each turn of the page adds up to their years, which then allows the boys to mature as men.
There are moments when I pause to catch my breath, cut my surprise, or wipe out a tear. Aside from Jew- Nazi stories, I am always captivated by stories of friendship. Putting the boys in an unruly community during a repressed 70’s Afghanistan, and connecting their bloodlines on the latter part of the story, are two of the strongest ingredients that make up a buffet filled with a platter of loyalty, a bowl of love, spoonfuls of neglect, betrayal, caste and denial, and a main course of redemption.
The Kite Runner is indeed a treat. I said it before and I will never grow weary of saying it again; it is one of my favourite stories, if not, the. It is an after-movie novel which I read and since then, I feel like a part of me resides an Amir, who constantly seeks for Baba’s approval, and a Hassan, who is a loyal brother and friend.
Segue: Books such as A Separate Peace, and Boy in the Striped Pajamasboth feature brotherly bond which started from childhood, and have changed the protagonists’ lives ever since. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts