Sunday, December 2, 2012

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER


Author: Sthephen Chbosky
I first saw this book when I was in fourth year college. I read the synopsis and was immediately excited to read the entire novel. Instantly I knew that this is something I can relate to.
And I was not disappointed.
The presentation of the novel is in diary form. Reading through it gives an awkward sense of cheating because the entries are too personal and detailed. In normal life actually, reading these pages could actually cost a person a friendship or a broken relationship.
Nevertheless, I enjoyed sneaking in a teenager’s life. For once, I am reading somebody else’s diary and not mine. Yes, I’ve been keeping diaries since 2010. And it only helps me become more transparent and secure.
I remembered what the author noted in the acknowledgment, he thanked a friend for remembering he was wrong when he was fourteen. This is also the age when I did everything possibly wrong yet exciting. Looking back on those years, I am grateful for gaining true friends along the way. Like Charlie in ‘Perks’, they helped me survive high school life. They were there when I was wrong and they were never gone when I wanted things to be right.
One factor I found most special in the book is the innocence of Charlie that is reflected in his writings. Nothing of which has motives and I simply appreciate the fact that he does not know how honest he is, to himself, to his family and friends. Anyone who came across the sincerity of this guy would find it inspiring.
This book narrates the journey of a typical teenage/high school student throughout love, life and friendship. To my peers who have gone through these things way back in high school, let us all read the book and laugh, cry, feel for Charlie because we were once like him.
 In the end, never cease from looking backward. And never stop moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts