Sunday, December 2, 2012

THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT (2010)



Love can really come even from the most complicated, unconventional of all set-ups.
Nic (Annette Benning) and Julie (Julianne Moore) are lesbian couple rearing their two teenage kids Laser and Joni. They were happy all along until the kids’ curiosity lead to the introduction of their moms’ sperm donor, Paul (Mark Ruffalo).  After several occasions and meet-ups, trust and commitment issues surfaced. In the end, Nic and Julie proved that marriage is what its worth: two people loving each other, making decisions (wrong or right), getting through the years, and sticking to each other after all.
This film made me see the challenges of parenting, lesbian relationships, and adolescence. Of course I can only relate to the last one, but to present these issues in an honest way made me appreciate the efforts my parents exert every single time of every single day.
At first I thought that Paul would be the missing piece in the puzzle; the one who can fill in the paternal gap in the family. But as the film progressed, I thought that he was used as a catalyst for the family to mature as one, to grow in love and fate.
This film is sweet. It made me smile lighter and be thankful for a current convenient set-up with my own family. It made me cry because it’s simply complicated. Before everything was fine with your family and the next thing you know, they all wanted to be detached from you. It must have been really hard for someone especially like Nic. I hope someday when I have my own family, I could be loyal to them and always go back to my vow.
Remarkable acting for Annette and Julianne, by the way.
Love can really come even from the most complicated, unconventional of all set-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

"Big Magic" (part 1/2)

"Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of the sensational memoir "Eat, Pray, Love") Non-...

Popular Posts